Monday, February 13, 2012

Shameful is....what shameful does....


Most of us, are guilty of making and laughing at the jokes we heard about Whitney.  I'll admit....I laughed. Most of us tuned in week after week for our dose of humor from their reality show, "Being Bobby Brown".  You just never knew what antics and stunts the Brown family would pull.  You just never knew but you knew they would!  And each week, they never let us down.  Yelling and screaming at each other.  Making spectacles in public...odd behaviors and whatever else they could come up with, they didn't hold back.  Some of you may think I'm being insensitive right now, that I'm speaking so freely about "the train wreck" we tuned in to witness week after week.  Maybe I watched because Bobby reminded me so much of my own brother and his erratic, comical behavior....I don't know *shrug*....but I watched.   But here is where I get up on my soapbox....

SOMEBODY'S MOTHER has died!!
SOMEBODY'S CHILD has died!!
SOMEBODY'S SISTER has died!!
SOMEBODY'S AUNT has died!!
SOMBODY'S COUSIN has died!!
SOMEBODY'S BEST FRIEND has died!!

And people are still tuning in for the train wreck!  So....*MIDDLE FINGER in ABUNDANCE* for you all!!

It was almost immediate that EVERYBODY assumed it was drug related. *smh*  DESPITE her troubles, did she not deserve the respect and consideration that maybe it had NOTHING to do with drugs? No??  Are we so insenstive and so ALL KNOWING, that we....WE....this selfish, celebrity news hungry, reality show watching, insecure, low self esteemed ass society can't even give her the benefit of doubt....no?  It goes SO far passed what killed her....because at the end of the day.....she's gone.

Excuse me...Yeah I said it!  SELFISH, INSECURE, LOW SELF ESTEEM SOCIETY!!  We care SO much about the drama, who's wearing what...who sleeping with whom....who's strung out....who's dishing the best gossip.  We build people up to tear them down. Maybe if we spent more time caring about just people in general, caring about ourselves and our OWN front lawns...maybe these celebrities could live somewhat of normal lives and not lean so much on drugs to charge them up so they can give US what we need....and drugs to take them down so they can get what they need.....sleep, peace and quiet or an escape.


My son called me to tell me when the news broke.  I thought, again..."Here we go with the jokes".  I told him "It's not funny".  And I scolded him for telling "this horrible joke".  He got a little defensive because he couldn't connect to why it wasn't funny....and as he said "it ain't like you knew her".  Yeah, I expect this from a kid, who didn't grow up listening to her music.  Who didn't get a chance to "know" Whitney Houston before things got bad.  So all he knew was the "sick" Whitney...and the jokes that surrounded her.  Yeah, I expect that from a kid but this was a common sentiment that I saw when I logged on to Facebook and read comments posted by people under the multitude of articles and her videos on youtube.  It seems as though, there is this belief that a person (or people) can't be affected by the death of a celebrity.

Well, why not? ?

Because she didn't know you all, individually by name?  Because she didn't know your favorite colors?  Well, she didn't become a celebrity alone!  You made her!  You loved her voice....you listened to her music over the years....you cared enough to tune in to watch her when she performed on television. You welcomed her with open arms when Clive Davis presented her to you!  You EVEN cared enough about her that you were hungry for the latest gossip concerning her addictions. You craved the photos of her disheveled and wildin' out.  You cared enough to talk about her, make jokes about her, to follow her EVERY move. You loved her so much, you're still blaming Bobby for her downfall! YOU employ the paparizzi! Yet, you want to tell people to get over it., "I'm not surprised" replies and you don't see why others are sharing her videos...or linking articles about the developing story of all the "what happened" theories.  Is that what we do, when they no longer "fit" the mold, we disassociate ourselves and throw them to the wolves?  Shame on you.

As a fan, it broke my heart to watch her decline and even more to hear of her death.  And you're right, like I said, I did laugh at jokes.  Hell, my father was a drug addict.  I laughed and joked at his ass too!! But how  I THANK GOD - even to this day, for the sobriety that he mastered.  When he "came back to life", NONE of the things that he did during his drugged up days mattered to me.  All that mattered is that I had my daddy back!  So when he passed away, nothing of his past haunted his memory.  He was remembered for the person that he was.  WHY is that so hard for people to do for Whitney? I wanted soberity for Whitney. I want the same for everybody with addictions.   Whenever there was good press of her "cleaning up", yes...I shared those moments too!  It would make me happy to see her trying.  When she finally became pregnant with Bobbi Kristina...who wasn't happy for her?  I know I was.  "I'm Every Woman" ???  Everybody loved the glowing face, the swollen belly....the healthy Whitney.  So now I ask, did you really love her?

This isn't just about WHITNEY HOUSTON.  This is about Michael Jackson, Etta James, Amy Winehouse, Marvin Gaye, Heavy D and all the other celebrities that have sacrificed their privacy and just basic human needs for our entertainment. No, I may NOT  know this family personally but they're human and they shared their life with me.  I pray for this family....this family of HUMAN BEINGS with REAL feelings, REAL faults, REAL triumphs, REAL happiness and REAL sadness.  I pray for the child that lost her mother and the mother that lost her child.

Rest in Peace, Whitney.....





And you can definitely quote me....if you like!

No comments:

Post a Comment